I just realized.....
I shouldn't say "I just realized," but I'm pretty sure that I now know that I am not a cat person...or maybe even an animal person. Please refrain from throwing virtual tomatoes at me, but I think I might even go as far to say that right now, I H-A-T-E my cats. Any particular reason? No, not really. John would like to blame it on that I'm pregnant...which could be a factor, but there are a number of things my cats do, that I think all cats do, that really get on my nerves.
Why do I have cats if I don't like them, you ask? Well, I always wanted one growing up, but my parents were allergic, so when we adopted the cats, they really were the cutest kittens you ever saw....but I still had my reservations about getting them. I blame John 95% for getting the cats. 95% because it was his idea and he insisted, and so did the kids, and 5% for me because I actually gave in.
I always knew that cats love affection and attention, but sometimes, I can't stand how if my hand is just barely dangling off the bed, they are straining their little necks to "make" me pet them. I just don't want to....I can't stand all the cat hair that comes off on your hand every time you pet them, or that my wardrobe constantly has cat hair on it, even when it comes out of the dryer. I can't stand the way they paw at every door and have scratched up my leather couch, pulled out threads from my towels and blankets, constantly get on my counter tops and tables even though they know they are not supposed to...I eat on those surfaces. I have found cat hair in my food before...yuck!
The thing that bothers me the most is when we used to let them sleep on top of our bed, they would slowly make their way between John and I and just spread out like they owned the bed. So lately, we don't let them in our room or the kids rooms anymore because they do the same thing to them also.
Okay, enough with the complaining. Overall, they are very quiet and sleep alot, but all these other factors are really getting to me. I've told John that we are not keeping the cats for life. In fact, I at least plan to give the cats away when we move next year....if I can hold out that long. I'm really nervous bringing a new baby into the home with the cats. They think the own the house and will get into everything. Ahhhhh, I feel a little better now that I have vented about it now....but the cats are still here and rubbing their hair against my pant leg right now. Grrrrrr!
Cute eh? Any takers?
9 comments:
If it were me, I would just get rid of them this weekend, why wait a year?? It doesn't make you a bad person to not like your cats, just find someone who does:)
I seem to have the same problem. We currently have 2 cats. We have had 3 others, though, at 3 different times. (I got rid of 2 and one ran away.) I don't know why I continually give into Sean and his 'need' to have cats in the house. But, I think these ones might be here to stay for a while. But, seriously, I really don't understand why some people like cats so much! I am pretty sure that cats know my dislike for them. Ü
thank!you! for reminding me why we never want pets -- ahhh!
I'm with ya! I've never really liked cats ever since going to my friends houses when I was young and I always thought they were going to pounce on me...Something about their reflective eyes and claws that come out of nowhere give me the creeps!
I love cats. I wish I could take them but my wife won't let me.
I hear cats cut down the chances of children developing asthma later on in life (see here).
Harley is right. It is the only reason we have a dog. We are doing it for the children. If Harley can't talk his wife into the two cats, maybe he would like a very well-trained, incredibly sweet laborador who is crimping my style... Sorry you don't like your cats, just try to remember that you love your husband and children, and you are doing it for them - repeat three times while gritting your teeth about vacuuming up hair...
I remeber you begging mom and dad to have cats. I thought kittens were cute but I have to say I've never really liked them either. I'm just not a cat person. I am now allergic to them so if I ever can come and visit that gives you a great excuse to get rid of them.
After a post like that, you will never find anyone to take them off your hands. :)
I love cats. But I don't want to clean up after them. The only way we'll ever get cats is if they do their business outside.
Maybe once we don't have a newborn in the house, we'll adopt yours. Maybe...
Post a Comment