Wednesday, July 30, 2008

A Little More Info on the Goal Charts...


So I've had a few people ask me about the Goal Chart I made for the kids and they wanted to know what kinds of things I had on there. You should be able to click on the photo of the chart and make it bigger, but if that doesn't work, it's pretty simple what to have on there.

I have tried to pick jobs that I know my kids can do like picking up their toys, making their beds, helping set the table, empty the dishwasher, making good choices, playing nicely with each other, staying in bed, etc... It makes the kids more aware of what they can do to help me around the house, while earning money toward a specific goal or toy in our case. It keeps them motivated to help.

I also have a green, yellow, red indicator for each of them, so when they are being naughty, talking back, or not playing nicely, I ask them to put their picture in the yellow or red zone. The yellow zone is a warning to them that they are in danger. If they are in the red zone, that is when I take privileges away, like a favorite toy or TV time. They have to do good things to get back to the green zone, and only when they are in the green zone, can they color in their goal meter toward their goal.

I also glued their pictures to a magnet and since our front door is metal, it stay nicely on the chart and makes it easy to move around...in case you were wondering.

If you find something else that works, let me know as I am always looking for ways to help my kids make better choices and keep them motivated to help me.

I hope this info helps for those of you who want to try it. It does help, but you also have to keep on top of if and help the kids stay motivated. Good luck!

13 comments:

Brooke said...

hi, will you invite me to view your blog? ... you have my email. :)

Unknown said...

can you put me on your invite list? darik.kristine@gmail.com

Eric and Angela said...

I think those charts are a great idea. Especially the red, yellow, and green. What did sweet little Ben do that made him go to yellow? jk I am sure I will be asking you more questions about it when my kids get older.

Alicia said...

Love your motivational chart. We've been trying some things like this with Orion, but nothing this intensive.

Will you invite me to your blog? My email is aliciajwillis@hotmail.com

Thanks

Tamara Wheeler said...

great ideas, Melissa!

I used to something similar. I gave my kids marbles for things. And then, when they got older, I moved onto what I called, Wheeler Dollars. Each wheeler dollar was worth 50 cents or 15 minutes of Play Station 2 time.

And with the marbles and also the wheeler dollars, I took some away when they did not listen, or did things they shouldn't of. And I will tell ya, that really works. They personally would have to go to their jars and get me them. And that was hard for them to see their hard earnings going away for bad behavior.

I really need to get back to something. Because now my kids are older and they need some motivation again.

Cindy & Billy said...

I think that is a great system how long does it take them to earn a toy

Becca said...

What a great idea! Where did you come up with that idea for the goal chart? By the way, please add me...bclawson03@gmail.com

Holbrook Girls said...

Love the goal chart! We just use a plain sticker chart out of construction paper! Please add me to your blog I love to read updates. drholbrook@gmail.com

Kates said...

Miss-Lissa you are so creative! Please add me to your blog so I can keep reading about you and your kids!

katyd_1@yahoo.com
Katy Demorotski

The Duckworth Family said...

Super Cute, I think I'll copy your idea! And definitely keep me on your blog list! love ya
milkmilkmilk21@hotmail.com

The Duckworth Family said...

Sorry one more comment from me! YOu need more pictures of the baby! Actually I'm quite impressed that you have still been posting because I know so many that after a baby take too long of a break keeping in touch with the world...but heaven sakes we want to see your pride and joy! There is my request. Love ya girl!

britentj said...

OH I am such a dork, everytime I came onto your blog, I would see your time to go private speel, and think, "man she still hasnt blogged" I am a dork! lol sorry,, thanks for the info on the charts, and Your baby is gorgeous!!!

Jenny Kay said...

I love the Petrini's! Add me on the list:
JennyPaulson@gmail.com