Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Viewer Discretion Advised

Since I'm a stay at home mom, I find that I rarely get to choose what to watch on TV these days. My kids own the TV during daytime hours, so forget ever catching up with the news or watching Oprah (Although I'm not a huge of a fan of hers as I used to...that's another story). If the TV is on, my kids have the control of what we watch.

I have found that recently, PBS has done an excellent job of creating shows that promote reading, letter recognition and science fun. My favorites I like the kids watching (and I don't mind watching myself):

In 1st place of shows I don't mind my kids watching:
Word World: A clever new show that promotes spelling and reading in a fun and creative way. All the characters have their "words" as their character make-up...Very fun!


In 2nd place:
Curious George: They have really made this a fun show to watch that helps promote the curious science-side of life through the eyes of a monkey. My kids really love this one, and I honestly love to watch it with them, and then sometimes do the experiments they display after the show to demonstrate a scientific principle.

In 3rd Place:
Super Why: A fun and entertaining show that also promote reading and letter and sound recognition while telling fun mother goose and other stories.



With that said, there is also a side of kid-TV that I strongly dislike and cringe when I see these shows where they have weird characters in different crazy colors and costumes that are just to painful to watch...yet, I can't help but not look away if these shows come on. I try to avoid them at all costs, but sadly, my kids beg to watch them if we accidentally don't change the channel in time.

In 3rd place of shows I detest:
Teletubbies: Though many people have their ideas of why they dislike this show, although I think they are kind of cute in a weird, alien way...this show does not promote anything either, especially when the characters themselves don't speak in an audible way that you can tell what they are saying. I really don't want my kids walking around thinking that "uh-oh" is the way to say "hello" like they do in this show.


In 2nd place:
The Doodle Bops: Although they may have some catchy tunes, I just can't help wonder what these peoples' personal lives must be like if they are willing to dress up like this everyday.


In 1st Place: (A show that I wish would be yanked from TV forever)
Yo Gabba Gabba: Can I say "YUCK!" I can't stand this show in any dose...not even a promotional commercial. It's just too weird and doesn't teach anything. A total waste of time, money and brain power to block it out of my head.

9 comments:

Cherise said...

Ha, Ha, - your favorite shows for your kids are pretty much the same as mine. We don't have cable, and probably won't get it for a very long time - I have actually purchased a few Dora and Diego, Little Einstein, and Blues Clues DVD's and the kids either watch the DVD's, or we turn to our recorded Super Why and Word World episodes. I love the DVR it allows me to really control what the kids watch (and if they only watch PBS and video's they don't get hung up on toys that are advertised on other chanels). I've never seen two of your can't stand choices, but I'm pretty sure I'd agree with you on those too.

Kimberly said...

Cherise told me about Super Why, but I haven't heard of the other two good ones. I will have to look for them. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen Word World in awhile, but from what I remember I thought that one was pretty cute. Addyson LOVES LOVES to watch Sesame Street, and I actually don't mind it either. It's so educational, and sometimes they have celebrities on and do spoofs of 'grown-up' TV shows, so it's not bad for moms to watch either! I am totally with ya on the Yo Gabba Gabba, that show is just POINTLESS! The people look weird, and seriously, it's just annoying as heck. I also can't stand Teletubbies either. I think I let Addy watch it once, and they barely even speak and it had no good point or lessons, etc. Why do they make some shows like that anyway?!

Seriously... said...

agreed. especially on the "donts". I could add even more to the list....Raggs, Barney, basically anything that has people dressing up in big costumes i'm against.

DC Diva said...

Teletubbies scare me.

Harwood Family said...

I am so with you on the detest side of kid shows. Especially Yo Gabba Gabba and Teletubbies. I can handle Doodlebops if the channel isn't changed in time, but I'd rather not. I have not heard of two on you like list. I'll have to check out PBS again. My kids are die hard Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Little Einstein and Dora freaks. You can only watch the same epside so many times without wanting to do something drastic to the TV. The best educational shows I have found are the LeapFrog DVD's you can pick up at Costco for $7.

Shari said...

I look at some of the shows on tv nowadays for kids and all I can say is who are the weirdo's thinking this stuff up? And who is actually putting it on tv?? All those shows look pretty stupid to me!!

Cindy & Billy said...

when I was working grave around 5 or 6 is Word world would come on and that would be the only thing to watch other then the paid programs. I was very impressed with it and it was entertaining to watch. I found it interesting because at the time I was taking an early childhood education class and learning about how kids learn.

The Duckworth Family said...

Ditto, I have to agree with you almost 100% an all those....although as much as I had gabba gabba.....I loooove the song Party in my Tummy! It's totally helped get my kids to try some foods they don't like. So although they rarly see the show....we sing that song all day long!