Thursday, February 21, 2008

Sew What!

So for years, I used the excuse that I didn't know how to sew because I didn't have a sewing machine to practice on. Every time John would ask if I could hem his pants for him, I told him I needed to buy a sewing machine.

Well finally, I found myself with some extra Christmas money and decided I was finally going to buy that sewing machine that I had talked about getting for years.

Here we are almost three months later, and I had yet to even pull the darn thing out of it's box because I realized that just having one doesn't mean that I know how to use it!



So last night, as John was packing for his ADA meeting in Chicago, he reminded me that he still had a pair of pants that needed hemming and that my sewing machine was still in a box. Since it was 10pm, I told him he should have asked me like a week earlier to give me a chance to get familiar with the machine before I completely massacre his nice pants for his meeting. Unsatisfied by my answer, he pulled the whole thing out and decided it wasn't so hard and that he could do it himself.


About 2 hours later, after reading all the Starter Information packets and trying to learn how to Thread the machine (which has never made sense to me when I watch others do it) he decided it was a lot harder than he thought and finally gave up. I almost felt a small victory as he realized why I was so afraid to open Pandora's box without knowing what I was doing.

I need to have someone show me what to do and teach me the basics so I don't feel like I wasted that money on something that will just be a dust collector.

6 comments:

Coleen said...

They should send videos with these things for instructions now. They definitely have the capability!! I've recently had the "I want a sewing machine!!" feelings. I should give in and get one...but I'm afraid of all the same things!

matt and brynnzie said...

My mother in law gave me my sewing machine for my first christmas into the family. I think that the only reason that I have learned to sew (which I love now) is because I was so new into the family that I would have felt quilty if I didn't make at least one thing with it (or at least so i was caught using it). Once you learn to thread it and such, it isn't that hard to sew a straight line or two. That's all that I have been doing and it has been about 4 years.

Anonymous said...

That's funny about John, it totally sounds like something Kyle would do. Then later he would give up too and blame it on the machine! You'll have to keep us posted on how you use it, I know you'll figure it out! I have no idea how to even operate one.

Claudia said...

I am in the middle of a sewing adventure myself - I casually said, "I think I'll make her a blessing dress". Joshua laughed. I still have a couple of weeks - and an ability to shop!

Tamara Wheeler said...

I too got a sewing machine right after Christmas. And it is sitting on a table in my room, still in the box. I have been wanting one ever since we moved here. But I am like you. I don't sew at all. I can't even thread a machine. But I wanted one. Don't laugh when you hear why I wanted one. It is my newest tool for Scrapbooking. :)

Kimberly said...

When Jacob was going through his wonderful two curious stage he mesed with my sweing machine and threw off the timing. I took it in but couldn't bear to pay $85 to fix my $125 dollar machine. So here I am 4 years later with no sewing machine.