Tuesday, November 27, 2007

My Thanksgiving Update...I know.....WOW


I can't tell you how many times I have tried to sit down this week to update my blog. And of all times when I should be doing other things, here I am. Well, as promised, here is a recap of the wonderful week I spent with my parents and Sister Rebecca while they visited us here for Thanksgiving. It was really nice to have them here and we saw and did a lot.


Air and Space museum in Virginia

The last time my dad was here, we never made it to this museum where they store every possible famous plane or space shuttle. My dad is a total NASA fan, and of course Ben was in heaven with all the airplanes and spaceships your eyes could behold.



Mount Vernon (Washington's home)

Then on Monday, we headed back down to Virginia to visit the home of George Washington. This mansion is pretty amazing and the grounds and Potomac River running just outside it so beautiful.



Washington, along with his wife and 22 other members of their family are buried right here on the property. The tomb behinds us is Ol' George himself.





Gettysburg

On Tuesday, We drove up to Pennsylvania to Gettysburg and toured the valley and learned a great deal more about the Civil War and what really happened there. It's most amazing as you drive around the valley where there are hundreds of monuments dotting the valley to commemorate people and events.




Right here where my sister is standing in front of this monument is where President Abraham Lincoln gave his famous Gettysburg Address. It's so much more moving to read it while you are standing in the same spot that it was delivered.







National Mall

On Wednesday, My sister offered to stay home with the kids, so my parents and I could go out for the day and enjoy Smithsonian's at the National Mall in D.C. Since there were a few things we each wanted to do, we quickly got in line to tour the United States Treasury...(you know, where they make those Benjamin Franklin's in your pocket...or maybe your poor like me and only have George Washington's). And then afterward, my mom split to walk around the reflection pool, the World War II wall and visit the Lincoln memorial, while my dad and I went to the Holocaust Museum. Of course I was not allowed to take pictures inside, but after visiting there, I don't think I will ever be the same as I have come to realize how evil and blind people were. Even more scary, I believe the holocaust could totally happen again...but that's another long story if ever want to ask me my opinion on that one.


After that, I think my camera battery died and I did not charge it in time for thanksgiving pictures with my family. It was also my first official thanksgiving at my house, but I had it easy because a friend of ours deep-fried our turkey for us....which is now my opinion, the only way to cook and eat a turkey. It was too good! We had all the fixins and then set off to the movie theatre to see 'Enchanted.' Very cute movie.

Anyway, we had a wonderful week with my family and I hope to have them out this way again sometime.

6 comments:

The Bells said...

That is fun you got to do all those things. It looks like you enjoyed having mom and dad there. I hope you all had a great weekend. Love ya!

Kimberly said...

Glad to hear you had a great week with Mom and Dad. All those sights give me slight memories of my trip to DC in the 8th grade. It is really sad that I went there but really didn’t appreciate it all at the time--or if I did I have forgotten most of it.

Cinders said...

Thank you for sharing your adventures and the pics. Becky looks darling.
FYI - Brian (Samarah's hubby) worked on the Disney movie, Enchanted. He did all the web content for the movie. We saw the movie the day after Thanksgiving. It was great!
Glad your Thanksgiving was wonderful. Now if I can just find someone to deepfry OUR turkey for next year.

Cindy & Billy said...

mmmmmmmmmm... deep fried turkey. It's the only way to go. Too bad it too cold outside here in Utah to deep fry turkey.

Heidi said...

I am so envious of all those historic places you get to visit. That's so great that you are seeing so much while you are there.

Coleen said...

How fun!! I loved my trip to DC a few years ago. I just found out that I am for sure going out that way next month, too! During the conference I won't have ANY free time, but since work is paying for the ticket either way, I might come out there the weekend before. We'll see how money looks at that time, hehe.