Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Has it really been that long?


(HS Mascot: The Mighty Titan)

So this past weekend was my 10 year high school reunion. Of course I couldn't go due to the fact that I am mega prego and no airline would allow me to fly this late in the pregnancy. So why am I blogging about an event that I didn't even attend? Because for the first time, I actually really wanted to go.

Why is this such big news? Because I was one of those who couldn't wait to get out of high school and start a real life. In fact, I left for College two days later and I was so glad to be out of Utah, and haven't really been back there since. I think I really struggled to find my place in HS and never totally felt like it was worth going everyday if it weren't for all the dance and singing programs that got me out of bed. Relationships and friendships were always so complicated, school was challenging and some of my teachers were down-right Crazy! *cough* (music teacher Vicki Belnap) *cough*

One thing I did always regret though was not staying in touch with friends while I was away in the real world. I made new friends and just moved on and felt that the days of the past were better left in the past.

However, due to the world of blogging and other HS websites that were created, in the past 6 months, I have been able to reacquaint myself with old classmates and friends. I must say, it had been an amazing thing for me to see what some people have done with their lives. Some have fabulous careers, some single and living adventurous lives and many are married with multiple children. I think I was most shocked to see a picture of one of our class clowns married with triplets...insane.

Anyway, seeing what changes people have made to their lives and still wondering what happened to a few others that I have not been able to contact, it makes me feel a little homesick for Utah. I see that many girls have stayed in touch and see each other often, and I can't help but feel a little left out. Wow, I think this is turning into some kind of confession blog. I better stop while I am ahead.

But deep down, I know that I had to discover who I was and what I really wanted out of life, and I just couldn't find that if I had stayed there. So of course, I don't regret leaving and living the life I have been so blessed with. But hey, seeing old friends and faces would have been very therapeutic!

3 comments:

Brooke said...

:) I think it would have been fun to go as well. Alas, geography gets in the way....
Best of luck your last month of pregnancy!

Sheri said...

I totally know what you mean. I only talk to my best friend from high school and since we live on the other side of the state, I never see anyone. But I am surrounded by Toms past/high school blunders. Oh the joy of that! At least you can go to your next reunion looking good and not prego! Tom and my 10 year is next summer...I plan to be looking good! :)

The Bells said...

I know what you mean too. Blogger world has helped me connect with my old high school buddies. I can't believe it has been 10 years for you. Isn't amazing how time flies yet so much has happened since?