A Much Needed Update...WARNING: May Contain a lot of Pictures
So for those of you who knew we were brave enough to drive 23 hours in our car to Texas with the kids to be with my family, I want to let you know we made it safe and sound to and from home. The drive was not as bad as we had anticipated with the kids. We left early in the afternoon both times; let the kids watch some movies until bed time; got them ready for bed and then was able to drive almost virtually with no problems through the night from Maryland, through Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and then into Texas and then back again the next weekend. We racked up over 3,000 miles this week on our car. I would say the worst part was the last hour in the car because we knew we were so close and we all want out of the car.
Since there are soooooo many pictures from our fun-filled family week, I will try to keep the details simple. Overall, we had a blast and John wants to move to Texas now.
It's been at least 4 years since we have all been together. So this was a real treat.
SUNDAY:
I didn't take any pictures, but my newest nephew, Alex, was blessed in church and it was neat for the whole family to be there. Afterward, we had some time to kill and we were so close to the Houston Temple, we decided to take a little detour on our way home.
The boys were trying to climb into the fountain...
The dad's are completely unaware of what's going on, when they were supposed to be supervising.
It was hard to get a good picture of the kids.
What a beautiful day to visit the temple.
MONDAY: Christmas Eve
Our family prepared a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at my Sister's house. The food was delicious, the setting was warm and cheerful and the company was just priceless.
Christmas Eve Family Party:
Grandpa loves to spoil the grand kids and he has learned that Star burst will make them really love him.
Hard to get 8 kids under 7 to sit still for a good picture.
TUESDAY: CHRISTMAS DAY!
The kids had a great time opening their presents, but also playing with their cousins new presents too.
With so many new toys, I don't think I saw Ben for the rest of the week as all the boys played with the trains.
Then, that evening, we headed over to my Brothers house for another Christmas party, where the nieces and nephews exchanged their gifts. Bella got some princess shoes, which she loves and Ben got a fun game.
THE REST OF THE WEEKS ACTIVITIES:
I found Bella "playing" the piano and singing to herself...so precious!
MAKING CAKES:
So many of my sisters have been asking me how I make my fondant cakes, which I have told them a million times, it's like playing with playdough. So i made 5 tiny cakes and gave everyone the supplies and showed them how easy it is to make these beautiful cakes. We all had a great time talking and being creative.
My niece Samantha was even making a cake.
My demonstration cake:
Sister Rebecca's Cake:
Sister Cindy's Cake:
Sister Angela's Cake:
GOOD EATS!
A wonderful night at the Olive Garden.
SWEET TREATS!
We drove an hour away to visit and tour the famous Blue Bell Ice Cream factory and to sample some free ice cream. This was a real winner with the group.
OUR LAST NIGHT IN TEXAS!
We took the family to a place called IT'Z, it's a place like Chuck E. Cheese on steriroids...but this place it soooo much better. We had a great time playing Miniture bowling with the kids and riding all the fun rides they had.
With this being our last night in Texas, it sure was the fun way to end it.
After another 23 hour ride home to maryland, we were exhausted. From staying up till 2am every night talking and playing endless games of Settlers of Catan and Carcasonne, I think it took us 3-4 days to get back to normal.
A Big thanks to all my family, espically my Sister Kim and Cherise and family for housing and hosting so many people in your homes. We had such a great time, and we hope that we will all be able to get together as a family again sometime soon. Anyone up for Christmas in Japan?
7 comments:
Looks like a whole lot of fun.
Now, what is up with Japan? lol
Hey stranger! Happy New Year and a belated Merry Christmas. Thank you for the sparkling cider, we all loved it. I am so happy you had such a wonderful vacation, your family is lovely. My sweet Bella is looking gorgeous and Ben may have a had a train overdose....so MANY TRAINS. Well maybe in 2008 we will get our girls' night out!
XOXOXOX
Giselle
The Japan comment comes from the option that John and I have to do our pay-back time to the Navy there for 3 years. So far, it seems like the best fit for us and we are seriously considering it...but that won't happen for another year and a half.
It was a lot of fun to see your pictures. Maybe I will skip my webpage entry and just point to your blog--good review. I am having withdrawals still. Scott keeps trying to go to bed at a decent time but I complain when it isn't even midnight.
Okay, the cake was awesome, but how do I get me one of them trains?
Choo-choo!
Wow! Love the pics. Looks and sounds like so much fun!
I know I'm late, but Merry Christmas. Life has been too busy!! I'm definitely up for Christmas in Japan. I'm also always up for a game of Carcasonne. I'll warn you though my husband and I played the game every weekend for almost a year so get ready.
Post a Comment