R-E-S-P-E-C-T
This is something I feel is SERIOUSLY lacking in the rising generation today. I am extremely disappointed by the things I have seen in the past few years, especially as a youth leader. The youth today in general, have no respect for people, property or themselves. I know, "Alert the media"...this is nothing new, but I guess I'm feeling extremely irritated because of things I have had to put up with lately.
Within the past month of our new playground being put in (which I have a personal emotional investment in it) and then to already have it vandalized by middle-school kids who feel they have to write a dozen times or so "Natalie loves Jake" all over the kiddie slides or J.B + S.P. REALLY? Do they think their crush is going to walk by and see it and know that it was left there for them and for everyone else in the world to know they have an admirer. Okay, I admit, that I once carved in a tree in the woods who my secret crush was at that age, but I didn't do it to EVERY tree I saw and it certainly wasn't doing it to vandalize personal property with a permanent marker!
Another thing I have had to make part of my daily routine...to clean up all the garbage trails the school kids leave as they come home from school. My kids have become great helpers and are equally disgusted about all the garbage left on the playgrounds (even some right next to the garbage can) and in the common grounds by my home. It's almost like these kids save all their wrappers and coke cans in their bags until they leave school and then just toss them where ever, because, HEY, no one taught them where to properly put it!
And while I am on my hormonal-pregnant soap box...I hate smokers...not the people so much, but definantly the habit. Well, hate is a strong word, but I "Strongly Dislike" them, especially when I am in my car at a stop light and I see the lady next to me chuck her cigarette out her window onto the street or gutter. I honestly think one of these days, that if I believe the light will not change for at least another 30 seconds, I will get out of my car, pick up that cigarette and chuck it back into their car and let them know that my world is not their personal ash tray. Gesh!!!
Okay, I think I feel a little better now...oh wait, the school bell just rang. I have to go and get my garbage bag. Duty calls!
5 comments:
Rant and rave all you want, it's good for you! I agree, there is a lack of good parenting these days, and kids who have never been taught correct principles (not just gospel, common courtesy). Thanks for teaching your kids the right thing - maybe it will rub off...
I'm sorry to hear about the vandalizm of the playground. I know how much that means to you. way to go teaching your kids to clean up.
I am so there on the respect issue. It is so annoying. Not to bring up any more need for bitterness, but we were totally disgusted by someone's used gum twisted around the bars of the little bulldozer slide. It's weird that people are that way.
I definitely agree that kids are lacking respect. Not only for personal property, but for themselves as well. It's like there is no such thing as integrity anymore. I'm with you on the smoking thing, that drives me crazy as well!
Melissa, I love ya! {hugs}
Post a Comment