Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Watch Out Martha Stewart!

This is defiantly a year where I have tried to learn new talents:

So far, I have taught myself how to cross-stitch: (and I wish I had a picture of my project that I spent at least 20 hours on, but it accidentally got thrown away with garbage it was sitting next to...yeah, I cried for weeks about that one!)

I taught myself how to make the No-Sew Fleece Pillows...mostly because I was scared to use my new sewing machine.

I also have taught myself the art of Fondant fun to make beautiful cakes.


In the past few weeks, I have taught myself how to make "diaper cakes" which are really fun and even more fun to give.




But, I also (and you would be so proud of me), but I finally am learning how to use my sewing machine! A friend of mine borrowed the machine for a few days in exchange that she would teach me how to use it. She did, and it got me excited to finally make my own quilts and blankets. But first, I thought I should practice some more before I butcher expensive material. So I bought this, and here is the product of my first lesson that it taught me to make:

I know, the name of the book should really be "Sewing for Dummies."



I know it's not much, but I am getting the hang of it, and I'm ready for lesson #2: How to make a Table Runner.

5 comments:

The Bells said...

way to go Melissa, you are turning into a crafty mom. I am excited to learn how to use my machine too. I am making a pillow in my class. I will post pictures when I finish it.
I am sorry to hear about your cross-stitching project. That would totally depress me too because I spend hours on my cross-stitching.

Anonymous said...

You are a force to be reckoned with- Martha is in trouble! I love when you post pictures of your cakes, they are so cute- I love them! I also love those no-sew pillows you made- I might have to copy you for a craft night for our Young Women!

Anonymous said...

Way to learn new things! I will shed a tear with you over your lost cross-stitch, that would be REALLY painful. Last month I sewed for the first time in years, but I haven't been able to start another project since... watch out, you just might inspire me!

Bethany said...

Look at you Little Martha! I just tried my first fondent cake, but yours is much cuter. So talented!

Bethany said...

Look at you Little Martha! I just tried my first fondent cake, but yours is much cuter. So talented!