Okinawa World!
One of things that I heard was a "must-do" on the island is Okinawa World. Our good friends, the Stinchfields tagged along with us, and we explored this interesting "amusement" park together (I used the word amusement lightly, because that is how it is described in their brochure, but really, there are no amusements (or rides here), you are just amused when you leave.)
Our friends, Tom and Tracie and their kids:
So the first thing you encounter when you enter is an entrance to a super old and super cool cave. I think we walked over a mile through the cave and the kids thought it was interesting, but wondered how we were going to get out.
Exploring the cave:
After we exited the cave, it spits you out into a make-shift traditional Okinawa village where you could explore the different huts and buildings where they made different things unique to the island.
Some of the things we saw were a glass-blowing hut, pottery, origami and Japanese Calligraphy huts.
We came across this old Bamboo-made boat:
They have prayer-trees where people write their prayer on a piece of paper and tie it to the tree. I've seen this a few times on the island.
There were Eisa Festival dancers and drummers that played in a pavilion, but we were restricted from taking any pictures...but they were very good.
Then our last stop was the Habu (snake and reptile) museum. The kids thought this was cool to learn about all the dangerous snakes in the region and surrounding islands. (This visit definantly gave my kids a good reason to never go near any snakes and to run as far away as they can if they see one).
I didn't take too many pictures here mostly because I'm not a fan of snakes. It wasn't my intention to have my kids fear snakes, but hey, I won't have Ben trying to bring one home that he finds in the yard like my brother used to and then would try to scare us with it. (Remember back then Craig? I don't like snakes because of you.)
But outside the museum, they had some turtle pits, and I think they are adorable!
Mia really wanted to get out and touch them too. "C'mon Mom! Let me out!"
So that is a small tour of Okinawa....I could have done better with taking more pictures of the huts, maybe next time. Sayonara!
1 comment:
we know the stinchfields from cleveland! tell them i said hello!!! okinawa world looks awesome :)
Post a Comment