Thursday, March 19, 2009

"So Much Time, so Little to Do....no, Reverse That!" -Wonka

Holy Canolli, do I feel like time has suddenly sped up since we got our orders. My list of things to do just got longer and more complicated.

Here are a few of the bigger items on my list of things to do immediately, and hopefully I can get done in 11 weeks:
-Paint, de-clutter and get our house put on the market this week...I'm sure it will be snatched up like hotcakes and we'll have bidding wars galore!
-Have a back-up plan of renters ready to move in, in case for some odd, strange reason no buyers are fighting to buy the house
-Sell two cars
-Sell half the stuff we own and put the rest in long-term storage because we found that we can only ship about 2,000lbs to Japan (which is 1/3 the weigh of stuff we moved with us last time)
-fill out a million different applications, forms, packets, and sign them with my blood
-Get passports for myself and the kids...that's right, I technically have never been out of the U.S...this should be a real culture shock for me
-Figure out our moving dates and coordinate it with everything else I have going on
-Find housing in Japan
-Figure out schooling situations for kids
-Learn basic Japanese phrases
-Learn all the Japanese driving rules, and forget everything about driving on the right-side of the road like I'm used to
-and about another hundred small little things to do in between all of that.

I can just see how other people might view me now: A chicken running around with her head cut off.

SO FUN!!!

10 comments:

Twinmomwv said...

I know you don't know me, but I'm Katie's SIL. I love reading about your family and holy crow! what a list to do to get ready to move. Good luck and remember to call your visiting teachers for help!!!

TOVAR said...

Luckily, most everyone in Japan speaks English and is willing to practice if they aren't proficient. I can only imagine how crazy things must feel. Good luck. Happy garage selling and/or craigs listing.

e.brooke said...

Oh, wow, Melissa! You need help! Are you getting any? I wish I could take your kids off your hands for awhile. Good luck! I'm excited to follow you to Japan via internet :)

DC Diva said...

I'm stressed out just reading this. Is there anything we can do? We're only about 45 min. away.

Claudia said...

Oh my. Girl, what can I do to help? I know I'm half a country away, so I'll pray for you, but there must be something I can do long distance. I know a great realtor, if that helps. The good news about the passports is that you are close enough to be able to do everything in person at a passport office downtown (if you are short on time, which you may not be).

Team Ryan said...

Wow... Good luck with everything! Seems kinda crazy what needs to get done... but the experience you are going to have seems really cool! GOOD LUCK!

Shari said...

I have been meaning to call you, and it looks like I have no excuse, because I know that my life isn't as busy as yours right now. I can't believe you guys are going to Japan?!! I know that you are going to be glad that you went...someday!! Maybe Corey and I will save up our sky miles and come visit you guys!! Can't wait to see you this summer, you are still coming right?

Shari said...

By the way, I miss your cute kids!!

Michiko said...

Congratulations! I'm excited to follow your Japanese adventures, and when you guys get back, I'm sure you'll all speak more Japanese than I do! :)

Mandy Eames said...

Hey, I got your email and wanted to say congrats on the big news! What a fun adventure! I can't wait to see all the pictures. Good luck with all that crazy preparation, I'm sure you'll be glad once you get there! Congratulations!!