It's Official....And it's NOT San Diego
I can't seem to wrap my head around the latest and FINAL news that I have received this week. First, if you want to catch up on the drama that we have been going through these past few months, read my previous post It's Unofficially Official
It seems that I was a little too eager to count my eggs before they hatched. Last week, I was told it was 99% sure we were going to San Diego....but that 1% chance of going to Japan has somehow turned into a 100% chance and soooo, we are moving to OKINAWA JAPAN...Officially!
I have very mixed feeling about the news and can't quite say that I am excited at this moment. I kind of had my head and heart set on San Diego and was making all kinds of plans. The plans were perfect and I was so excited....but then, the Navy pulled that Bait and Switch on us and now, we are FOR SURE going to Japan for the next 3 years. Here is where that island is:
See that tiny island at the very bottom of the picture....that's it!
Many people are trying to make me feel better about it, and I'm sure when all is said and done, I will be happy. But for now, My list of things to do in the next 11 weeks just got longer and I don't know how I am going to get it all done. I will admit, that every time I think about it, I have cried. I was really looking forward to being closer to family and we had so many fun things and trips planned together, but I just don't think those plans will work anymore and Japan is a 11 hour flight to the United States.
Okay, enough of my pity party....I am excited and so I hope some of you will start saving your pennies to come visit us here:
And Here:
And Here:
Guess I better start learning some Japanese!
19 comments:
I am Jealous!! I mean im sure it is terrifying.. And i dont know how you do it with 3 small children anyways... but what an amazing experience for all of you... Think of all you will learn!!! Michelle will be super jealous too--- Isnt that where she served her mission?
WOW! That's unexpected. You will do great! When Theo saw the pictures you posted, he said, "they're in Hawaii". I guess you can look at this as a tropical adventure!
I'm jealous too! Wow! One of my best friends from Cedar Rapids had just moved from Japan (also serving in the Navy as a medical-something) and they loved it. I have always wanted to live in another country . . .
Although San Diego would have been awesome, too!
ARE YOU KIDDING??? I hope so because I don't want you to move so far away. Our kids will never get to see their Petrini cousins. I am sad that you are moving so far away. Well we will have to play while you are Utah.
It will cost $1544, and 24 hours to come visit. It is going to take the full 3 years to save up for that one. :(
I can only imagine the mixed feelings I would have about that bait and switch. With that said. . .what a fun adventure. It will be beautiful and interesting and your kids will be gawked at everywhere you go with their super blond hair.
OMG, Welcome to my life! Ok, so not really. But living overseas. That is my life. I have a friend in Japan and she loves it. Even stayed on a few extra years because they love it so much. I need to find out where exactly.
If you need any advice or need someone to talk with, I am here!
Hey Melissa, I just found out my friend is also in Okinawa. But her husband is with the air force.
Melissa, if you want to chat, I can call you. I can call America for free. Just email your phone number to me. tamara.wheeler@yahoo.com
WOW! There's something about San Diego... we were 99% sure we were going there too until they sent us to Virginia:) I'm glad that we don't have to do that again. Good luck with everything! I'm sure you will love it there.
Wow, that is a big change from San Diego. I know you must be overwhelmed, but I know that you will find friends quickly and soon the three years will be over and you won't want to come back!!!
Holy cow you feel so far away NOW! I can't believe the switch! I bet it sure is overwhelming and scary. Good thing you have your blog so we can still feel in touch! It does look like a beautiful place though. Just think how cultured and knowledgeable you and your kids will be by the time those three years are up- sounds like quite an adventure! Maybe we will try to save our $ to visit- we love Japanese food!
I am having visions of Mr. Miagi screaming "Bonsai!!!"
Japan... who knew? I took Japanese from Mr. Goffe at Oly but can't speak a word. It will be a wonderful adventure for your children. They could be bi-lingual if you wanted them to be--and Japanese...what a gift.
You are in my prayers!! Many good thoughts your way!
Holy Cow! Just think of the AMAZING experiences your children will have (and talk about for the rest of their lives). How long will you be there?
Wow, Japan!! I was thinking San Diego was closer for family and that would be nice for all of you. Aren't you glad you made that trek to Utah this past Christmas? Really, Japan will be a great adventure for you. I didn't like it when Tammie moved to Germany, but I'm actually seeing her almost as much as when she was in Wisconsin. Coleen and I went there a year ago last December, Tammie came here last July, and Uncle Bob and I are leaving to go there in two weeks. Will the Navy provide any trips home for you? Congratulations - it will turn out to be one of your greatest adventures!
You are going to love it. My cousin and wife have been there the last 4 years with the same program that John is in and they have loved it. I can't believe it. How exciting for you and the family. Let us know if you visit utah before you go out. Best of luck. Love ya-Kins
Hey, I think that is so great that you guys are moving to Japan...what an adventure. My husbands sister and family lived in Singapore for a while and they loved it. My grand-parents also lived in Japan for 5 years back in the late 70's. Good luck with everything!!
When is says Jared said...it really is Erica Wood :)
what an incredible adventure for you guys! I am sure it is very overwhelming and scary at the same time, my stomach turned at moving down here, as for visitors, let me know when you are settled, I would love to come visit!!!! *wink* love you guys!
Post a Comment