Two Roads Diverged into a Wood....
Anyone who knows John and I well, and talks to us regularily will know that we discuss and debate heavily about what our next move should be.
John only has a year left in the military, and for a long time, we thought we were ready to get out, have John open his own practice, or go into practice with his dad or yada yada.
John is the KING of researching everything out: Realistate, local economies, demographics of areas, crime rate, job rates, school and education rates, etc...you get the idea.
Over the past year, we have changed our plans, and then changed it again, thinking we finally found the answer, but then new information or opportunities would come to light and it would mess up our thinking yet again.
So here we are, almost one year out, and just a few months before we have to turn in our RAD (not sure what it stands for, but it's paper you sign saying you are leaving the military at the end of your committment) and we are facing more information that even makes us rethink getting out of the military.
I always feel sad for those who have limited or no options to choose from, and I can empathize the difficulty in deciding your next move when you feel like there are no doors open to you, but at times, I think we have too many doors opened and the thought of choosing one scares us because what if it was the wrong door. Having too many options at times can be just as difficult and leave you standing in the hallway, not being able to move at all because you don't know what to do.
I am not writing this for sympathy or encouragement from anyone that we will do fine not matter what we choose, because I don't feel like it's something we can really choose anymore for ourselves.
John and I have discussed that it's time, now that we've done all our homework and research, to place the decision in the hands of someone who knows better than us, of what will be best for us and our family. Praying for guidance is important in making huge life decisions, and although I know we have been praying for guidance in our search, I know it's time to ask the real hard questions: Where would the Lord have us live or raise our family? Where can our family be most happy, maybe not finanicially, but happy with our community, friends, church, schools, and economic opportunities that would satisfy and challenge all of us to grow and use the skills we have to better the people around us? Where are we needed?
That question changes everything I think about where we should live, or how much money John could make here or there.
In the end, we all know it's not about the quantity of life that matters, but the quality in friendships, family and personal life that will matter and that we can take with us when we move on.
I guess this is kind of like an inner-prayer written out that I hope the Lord will continue to guide and bless our family and path and that whatever that path may be that He lights the way for, that we will be happy and have joy and knowledge that He knows best and we will see the bigger picture.
Kind of scary at times to not know the future, but the journey of finding the path is one that will require faith, groweth and understanding, and most of all trust.

2 comments:
Well said, Melissa! I hope you get some guidance in your decision-making and that you will feel at peace with your final decision. I'm excited to see where the next path takes you!
It is scary to have so many decisions! Especially when you pray and the answer is... you decide! Good luck, we'll be praying for you guys! Excited to see you next month!
Post a Comment