Wednesday, August 19, 2009

More Pictures to Whet Your Appetite...or your Eyes!

So it's been a fun few weeks and now that we are settled, I have been able to relax...maybe a little too much...(hence my hyatus from the blog.)

We still haven't ventured too far from our comfort zone, but we have seen enough to make us realize we're not in Kansas, um , I mean America anymore....although our experience has been a little more "American" than I expected it would be. See for yourself:

Just two blocks from our house, ooops, first here is the house that we will call home for the next 3 years:
I will post pics of the inside when I feel it's a little more presentable. ;)

The kids love the playgound that is right out our door. We usually spend the evenings there because it's too hot and humid to go play during the day.

Last night, we found the smallest little frog I have ever seen....so cute!!!!

Ok, SO, like I was saying before, just two blocks from our house is a place called "American Village" (like Chinatown in America) and it's a huge shopping center with American resturants that the Japanese like to come to and get an American experience. It's great for us because they have normal food options, like A&W (very popular), Tony Romas, Mc Donalds and Starbucks to name a few.


Also, they believe the farris wheel with Coca Cola is very American.

A Japanese local band came to entertain the crowd...very fun and kind of cool!

I love all the interesting and random things about Japan. At the front of every door or entery way, you will find the shisu (lion dog), to invite good spirits in and keep the bad ones away.


You will find manikins at their shopping centers that look like Japanese cartoons:


And you will find bicycles that you can fold in half and carry on your motor cycle:


A few days ago, we went to a family-fun-day sponsored by the Navy Dental Battalion at Torri beach, and I was telling you that the beach is all coral, with imported sand...very neat:

View of Okinawa from the beach:


I'm totally on a permanent vacation here! (I know you're so jealous right now, but don't hate me for it. lol)




Here is the result from my poor children who were cooked medium well that day:



I also experienced a favorite past time that is very popular with the women out here: Getting pedicures and cute art on your toe nails.

My ugly toes before:

They messaged and oiled my feet for 20 minutes..so nice. Then they scrub and buff your feet like no tomorrow.

While I waited and enjoyed my pampering, I decide to do some light reading:

Ooooh, I wonder if that comes in my size?

Tah Dah! Cute toe nails (with still ugly toes)....but the nail art pulls your eyes away from my feet..right? I'm totally hooked! ($45/mo in the budget for toe nail art!)


My friend Jamie got cute fish on her toes!


So that is what I have been up to. Sayonara!

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

I love the toe nails. I am so jelous. I tried doing some cute watermelon toes for Samantha the other day and it really just didn't work. I guess I need all the fancy stuff.

Sharon said...

Love the pictures! Mia already looks so much older than when we just saw her last month.

Giselle Taminez said...

I want flowers on my toes! Love it ;)

Cinders said...

Your blog is SO adorable!! You are quite the 'arteest' at posting on your blog. The tale of the toes is very cute. Love the 'light reading' material. The beach looks wonderful! The kids are growing so much. Glad you have such a great housing unit with a playground right outside the door.
As for all your stories of getting lost in all the various places you have lived ... there must be a church talk in that material somehow. :-)
Just sent Ben's sandals and a DVD for the kids via the military mail. It should be interesting to see how long it takes to get to you. Hopefully before Ben grown out of the sandals. LOL
Big hugs to you all.
Grammi/Mom Petrini