Disconnecting?
I know, I've been so lazy these past few weeks. Also, my computer was broken so I couldn't post even if I wanted to. But mainly, my excuse is that I think I am in rebellion right now from everything since the crazy weeks of cleaning my house to sell and being a Nazi mom about every little thing out of place.
Now that we have renters all lined up, I've relaxed...maybe a little too much. I have at least 6-7 loads of laundry to do, some more serious organizing of what will be moved to Japan and what will be put in long term storage (which will be almost everything). But for now, I want to enjoy my last 3 weeks in Maryland as much as I can.
The only problem is that, I already feel slightly disconnected from here already, and when people know you are moving away, they start to disconnect themselves from you also and move on. It's like the days of those last weeks of your pregnancy when all people ever ask you about is "when are you due," or "How many more days until your baby comes?" I know people can't seem to find anything else to ask me about (and I don't mind it so much cause I am pretty excited) but I do still have a life outside the fact that we are moving to completely foreign country and are starting from scratch.
People don't call me as much anymore (except for a few really close friends) and we don't get invited to do things with others anymore. That's just the way it goes. I think when we left San Francisco 3 years ago, the same thing happened, and it sometimes can leave a bitter-sweet taste in your mouth. But we weren't the only ones moving and starting our lives, and who can't be excited about another new adventure?
I've made a lot of good friends out here, and I hope they will keep in contact, no matter where we move to, because Japan is not our last stop. And honestly, we still are undecided about whether to leave the Navy in a few years and keep hopping our family around the globe, or get out and settle down. Either way, this is our life, and the disconnecting will continue to happen every few years until we do find the perfect place to call home.
3 comments:
The same thing happened with us when we announced that we were moving from here-- not with everyone, but with quite a few people. It's hard, but not nearly as hard for us as I would imagine it would be for you guys because we've only been here for like six months. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time there.
I totally know what you are talking about!
We've been here for nearly 5 years and as soon as we told people we were looking for a house in Virginia we suddenly feel like nobody knows who we are. C'mon people, its Virginia.....we aren't moving half way across the world :)
Its all good though. My closest friends I will stay in contact with, I don't think I could lose them if I tried. The others.....well, it has been good while it lasted.
If you want to feel forgetten together before you go give me a call .
Hello my dear,
will you email me at my email address when you have a free moment, mckinsie.lybbert@yahoo.com. I would love to catch up. I am so happy for you guys and your new adventure.
Hope things are getting a little better.
Love,
McKinsie
Post a Comment