Welcome to Our Newest Member of the Petrini Gang!
I can hardly believe it, but our little Caleb Joseph Petrini, is already 2 weeks old, and I'm just now getting to posting about it on the family blog...bad momma!
I wanted to jot down a few details about the birth, mostly for journaling purposes for myself, but I am fairly proud of myself this time around, as I made the decision a few months ago that I wanted to go all natural this time. Why? you ask, when there are wonderful medicines that dull the pain and help you cope better? I guess deep down I feel like I have cheated myself out of the most wonderful, raw and womanly experience you can have. I have been induced with 2 children and had 3 epidurals so far, and those birth experiences each had their ups and downs, but ultimately, I felt like I was missing out on the way mother nature intended birth to happen and the way courageous women have been having babies for thousands of years.
I must admit that I did cave in a few times and begged for anything to help with the pain, but I had coached John early on that if I asked for Meds, that he would remind me of my goal and encourage me to keep going (which he did beautifully).
I started having contractions the night before, not painful and somewhat consistent. They were like that for several hours and then sudden;y stopped. I was very discouraged, but at the same time was glad to have a little more time as that day happened to be our 10 year anniversary. We got a babysitter for the day and went out for lunch and shopping and just took time together. But by 4:30ish that evening, the contractions started coming back and were beginning to become painful as I walked. We called some friends and made arrangements for the kids to spend the night at other's homes as we were sure this baby was finally coming.
For the rest of the evening, John and I went on a nice long walk to help the contractions along, and by 10pm they were coming strong. Luckily, my wonderful sister sent me a birthing book (you would think i knew what to do when it's your 4th right), but I read the book in between contractions on how to cope, relax and meditate during the tough and painful contractions. The techniques were very helpful and helped coach me through these ones.
By midnight, they were getting strong enough that I wasn't sure I could handle it anymore at home, and so john and I drove the 2 blocks to the hospital (yes, it was that close), and by the time we got to the Labor and Delivery Floor, i was ready for this baby to come out.
I told the nurse I wanted to go natural and that if they would just break my water, I was sure I would have the baby quick. For some reason, they didn't seem to believe me and just took their time entering info in the computers and going about other business. after 2 hours in triage and waiting for the doctor to break my water, an irritated Melissa sent her husband into the hall to insist we get the ball rolling NOW or I wanted an epidural to get me through. They came in to talk to me about it, and just before I was about to give my consent for meds, I was able to remind myself what i wanted and just told them if they would break my water, I could get through it.
They finally moved me into a labor and delivery room, and then still took another 30 minutes to get the doctor in to break my water. Once he did, I had about 5 real whoppers of contractions, and at that point (I was entering the transition phase) I begged John to find the doctor to give me SOMETHING cause they really hurt and my meditation and relaxation techniques were not working anymore. The doctor finally came back, checked me and informed me that I was fully ready but that it was too late for any drugs, to which I started to cry like a baby, which then put me in full pushing mode somehow.
I don't think I ever really screamed with the other deliveries (as I couldn't completely feel what was going on), but I felt this and vaguely remember grunting, crying and screaming all at the same time. after a few pushes, Caleb was here!
Born at 3:10am on Dec. 30th, weighing 7lbs 14 oz and 21in long.
Though the last part was super painful, I have to admit that I feel more pride in this birth and would do it all over again....although not for a really long time. ;)
Caleb is a very good baby and he looks just like Benjamin did as a baby. The kids are so happy to have him and Ben is very proud to be the big brother to a little brother (he's been asking for a brother for several years now, so you can imagine how happy he is).
With that, we hope to get some real family photos done now (once John removes my braces that is...and maybe when I lose a few more pounds).
Thank you for all the kind words and wishes many of my family and friends have expressed. We truly feel so blessed to have Caleb in our lives and he makes the family feel more complete.
Welcome to the Family Caleb! Our little super guy!
I wanted to jot down a few details about the birth, mostly for journaling purposes for myself, but I am fairly proud of myself this time around, as I made the decision a few months ago that I wanted to go all natural this time. Why? you ask, when there are wonderful medicines that dull the pain and help you cope better? I guess deep down I feel like I have cheated myself out of the most wonderful, raw and womanly experience you can have. I have been induced with 2 children and had 3 epidurals so far, and those birth experiences each had their ups and downs, but ultimately, I felt like I was missing out on the way mother nature intended birth to happen and the way courageous women have been having babies for thousands of years.
I must admit that I did cave in a few times and begged for anything to help with the pain, but I had coached John early on that if I asked for Meds, that he would remind me of my goal and encourage me to keep going (which he did beautifully).
I started having contractions the night before, not painful and somewhat consistent. They were like that for several hours and then sudden;y stopped. I was very discouraged, but at the same time was glad to have a little more time as that day happened to be our 10 year anniversary. We got a babysitter for the day and went out for lunch and shopping and just took time together. But by 4:30ish that evening, the contractions started coming back and were beginning to become painful as I walked. We called some friends and made arrangements for the kids to spend the night at other's homes as we were sure this baby was finally coming.
For the rest of the evening, John and I went on a nice long walk to help the contractions along, and by 10pm they were coming strong. Luckily, my wonderful sister sent me a birthing book (you would think i knew what to do when it's your 4th right), but I read the book in between contractions on how to cope, relax and meditate during the tough and painful contractions. The techniques were very helpful and helped coach me through these ones.
By midnight, they were getting strong enough that I wasn't sure I could handle it anymore at home, and so john and I drove the 2 blocks to the hospital (yes, it was that close), and by the time we got to the Labor and Delivery Floor, i was ready for this baby to come out.
I told the nurse I wanted to go natural and that if they would just break my water, I was sure I would have the baby quick. For some reason, they didn't seem to believe me and just took their time entering info in the computers and going about other business. after 2 hours in triage and waiting for the doctor to break my water, an irritated Melissa sent her husband into the hall to insist we get the ball rolling NOW or I wanted an epidural to get me through. They came in to talk to me about it, and just before I was about to give my consent for meds, I was able to remind myself what i wanted and just told them if they would break my water, I could get through it.
They finally moved me into a labor and delivery room, and then still took another 30 minutes to get the doctor in to break my water. Once he did, I had about 5 real whoppers of contractions, and at that point (I was entering the transition phase) I begged John to find the doctor to give me SOMETHING cause they really hurt and my meditation and relaxation techniques were not working anymore. The doctor finally came back, checked me and informed me that I was fully ready but that it was too late for any drugs, to which I started to cry like a baby, which then put me in full pushing mode somehow.
I don't think I ever really screamed with the other deliveries (as I couldn't completely feel what was going on), but I felt this and vaguely remember grunting, crying and screaming all at the same time. after a few pushes, Caleb was here!
Born at 3:10am on Dec. 30th, weighing 7lbs 14 oz and 21in long.
Though the last part was super painful, I have to admit that I feel more pride in this birth and would do it all over again....although not for a really long time. ;)
Caleb is a very good baby and he looks just like Benjamin did as a baby. The kids are so happy to have him and Ben is very proud to be the big brother to a little brother (he's been asking for a brother for several years now, so you can imagine how happy he is).
With that, we hope to get some real family photos done now (once John removes my braces that is...and maybe when I lose a few more pounds).
Thank you for all the kind words and wishes many of my family and friends have expressed. We truly feel so blessed to have Caleb in our lives and he makes the family feel more complete.
Welcome to the Family Caleb! Our little super guy!







3 comments:
Love the pictures and your story! I wish you weren't so far away. Give all your kids lots of kisses for me.
Congratulation !!! Caleb is so cute and I'm so happy for you all.
Love!
- Teresa
Congrats Melissa. Good job on natural childbirth. I would love to do that. Well, love to SAY that I DID that. :)
Post a Comment