Monday, November 28, 2011

My Soap Box

Yes, this is me getting on my soap box. Some will say that this pregnancy has really put me over the edge and made me get all crazy about certain issues, but the one issue that is bothering me to highs-end that I am literally losing sleep over is China.

What about China, you ask? Well, I’m super annoyed that EVERYTHING is made in China now and that all our U.S. economy depends on them for manufacturing all our goods….and all those goods are not so good for us.

I’ve been reading too many reports about the ways China is cutting corners, and about how all our jobs are in China (and other places too), and about the latest reports that came out in the last few days about China hacking into U.S. companies websites and stealing patents and designs and then turning around and making it themselves and selling it, which takes more money away from America.

I’m annoyed that China owns so much of our debt, and even owns real-estate (the Chinese government) in the US. I’m annoyed at how our government has turned a blind-eye and has allowed China to rape our country of everything that used to make America great. They have our jobs, they have our technology and they own us in a way and I fear the day that they may decide to flex their muscles and demand more.

They devalue their money to undercut ours, forcing us to continue to do business with them. America has open and free trade with China where they pay nothing to send their goods to us, YET, we still pay tariffs and taxes on sending our goods to them. WHAT? Yea…it’s true!

Remember that Bush Stimulus that we all got several years ago (I think we got like $1200 to spend) for Americans to go out and spend to help stimulate the economy? Do you know what happened? It stimulated the Chinese economy! We borrowed that money from China in the first place, and then everyone went out and bought their electronics and stuff that was all made in China! They really made out good that year!

Lately, I have decided that something needs to be done. And it has to start with us, the consumer. I was disgusted as I watched the news this past week about Black Friday and the despicable behavior that was displayed by many in fighting crowds and each other to get the best deals. People fighting to pay bottom dollar for something that is cheap and most likely made in China, which was made cheaply in the first place.

I am appalled that people are not catching on to what is happening with the products we are buying and giving to our kids and using everyday. So many products and toys have been tested for lead and arsenic and other harmful chemicals. Companies would lose too much money if they actually tried to stop and send back all the products until they were made to the standards of the FDA. I think many companies who send their business overseas should be taxed higher for sending away our jobs and for not allowing American’s to make the products that Americans use. It would be easier to keep track of the processes, procedures and materials actually being used and possibly substituted for what is supposed to be used.

Though my rant seems like an attack on China, I feel it’s time we open our eyes to what is happening to our country. Turn off the TV, step away from your computer, put your credit card back in your pocket the next time you want to by something, and really sit back and watch how we, as Americans, are so absorbed in the “things” we have and buy, that we are not even paying attention to where these items come from and how they distract us from the real problems of the world.

I have been searching on the Internet lately for companies or products that are guaranteed to be made in the USA and sadly, there isn’t too much, and what there is, people would argue costs more. Infact, there is only ONE store in the ENTIRE USA that sells American only products in Buffalo, NY. It’s such a novelty, that tour buses stop there to help support the store and get people buying American made products. ONE STORE!!!!

This Christmas, I have made it my goal, to be more creative and give things that mean something, and that supports the American economy. I am being bold in asking companies where their stuff is made and make it a point that I’m disappointed in the quality of their products for that reason.

I am making a lot of my Christmas presents also, with a few exceptions of a few items that my children have asked for that I can’t possibly make myself….but believe me, I’m more careful about these products if they are painted or possibly made with metal or other materials that could be harmful to them.

SO… my challenge to all of you, not only this holiday season, but for our future, is to seek out ways to help OUR country and stop the excessive consumerism of Chinese-manufactured goods. Write the companies of these products and let them know how you feel! Write the retailers to let them know you want American products on their shelves clearly labeled! Write your Congressmen or Senator to pass laws that give tax breaks to American-manufactured companies and impose higher taxes to companies that have sold out to foreign countries to make more money just to save a buck. Look at the bottom of the products before you buy and make the moral decision of which side of the world you wish to make better off from your purchase.

Just do something instead of sitting at your computer shopping for the best deals. Because the only person who is really getting the best deal from your purchase, lives on the other side of the world. Spend those extra minutes searching out American companies and don’t hesitate to spend a few extra dollars for those products because it goes back into our economy and will help us get out of this recession if everyone did that.

So, is that steal of a deal really worth it to you now?

Okay, I’m officially getting off my soap box now.

Feel free to comment if you like or pass the word on.

2 comments:

Giselle Taminez said...

I absolutely agree with you! It's so upsetting, I did not step into any stores during the Thanksgiving weekend. When I went to Europe it was so nice to see that items in Spain where made in Spain, the same as Italy but here we no longer make anything. We were a manufacturing/producer country and now we no longer are because corporations want to make profits at every corner and send jobs overseas.

Darling, hope things are well. Glad you wrote on your blog again, I love your writing.

Please give all my love to the all the kids and John. xoxoxo and Merry Christmas.

The Duckworth Family said...

What I wonder, is homemaking things any better? Because what about the products we use to make stuff? Does that come from china? Like the cheap pieces of wood or paint and paint brushes...or stamps that I used to make the puzzle for Jayden? I don't really look at those things...mostly toys when I think about where they are made. Thats a new something to think about.