MERRY (and a very late) CHRISTMAS!!!!
Not only has living on a island made me a complete slacker in not sending out Christmas cards this year, but now I'm late in posting our Christmas greetings. But nonetheless, what an amazing year it has been for the Petrini's! I was just reading my Christmas letter posted from last year, and it's so fun to see how far our family has come...growth wise...and distance wise!
For the first 4 months of the year, it was constant drama around our house as we were highly anticipating where the Navy was going to send us for the next three years. We thought we were pretty settled on going to San Diego, but on the day my husband was to actually receive those orders, it was to a tiny island between the East China Sea and the Pacific called Okinawa, which is an island 300 miles off the coast of mainland Japan.
I'll admit, I cried...for a few days, but then I got my head in the game and went to work to prepare to move our family over 3000 miles across the world. We put most of our belongings and car in long-term storage, got our house ready to rent, and said goodbye to dear friends, neighbors and family that lived near us.
After a few weeks of visiting family in California and Utah, John was off to Rhode Island for a few weeks to complete Officers' Training. The kids and I spent the summer at my parents' home playing, swimming and hanging out with my family and cousins. It truly was the best summer-long goodbye party!
Since we have been here, it has been nothing short of exciting for our family. We have made some great friends, and of course, membership in our church out here is what always makes the difference where ever we go. It's like instant family, with people who take care of you and help you figure out your new life in a foreign country.
John has especially loved being in Okinawa, as he has been able to relax a bit and his schedule isn't as crazy anymore. In fact, he has found time to pick up road biking with some other dentist in the fleet, and he enjoys their long rides touring the island and neighboring islands. He also started taking private flying lessons to get his Pilots license, which has been a dream of his to fly and hopefully own his own plane...which is among his long list of big toys to have someday...ha! :)
This island and living among many military members has brought many opportunities for me to explore and to get back into my creative zone. I've been hired as a free-lance writer for the Oki Stripes advertising weekly newspaper, and I have the freedom to write whenever I feel like it...which hasn't been too much lately as I decided to also start teaching dance classes again for ages 3-6 years old. Classes start in January, and with all my classes filled, I know things will get even more busy around here. I've also been enjoying the beauty of the island and the people that live here. They are so kind, gentle and giving. I hope to have time to take Japanese soon so that I will be able to say more that just hello and thank you.
Ben (6 years old) has really loved being here and has also made some wonderful friends. He loves to go to Kindergarten and has really picked up on his reading and writing skills. He leaves me notes around the house all the time, and has become quite the artist. In fact, for Christmas, I bought him his own sketch pad (mostly to save money on all my printer paper he excessively uses to draw me pictures.) He loves to ride his bike, run around with the kids in the neighborhood, and dream about all the things he will get to do when he is finally "a big boy like daddy!" Although he can be stubborn, defiant and has super-high energy that can make me dizzy some days, he is also a sweet and very sensitive little guy who loves to surprise me with bouquets of wild flowers and dandy-lions he picked on his walks home.
Bella (Almost 4 years old) began preschool this year, and I can see that her confidence and self-esteem is not lacking in anyway. This princess graces our home with songs, dances and beautiful dresses. She is very excited about the classes I will be teaching, and talks about it all the time. (I hope it won't be a drag for her to have her mom be her dance teacher). Bella also looks forward to growing up faster than I would like, and if you ask her why is she growing so fast, she will always answer, "Because I eat my vegetables!"
Amelia, (almost 18months old ) aka 'Mia the Menace', not only is light on her toes, but keeps us on ours! I know I have the "mommy brain" and can't seem to remember much these days, but I'm pretty sure I never had a toddler that was into more mischief than this one. Don't let her little size fool you there is more going on in that quick-minded little head of hers than meets the eye. The moment you deem something 'off-limits' to her, well, you might as well put flashing lights around it with arrows because she is naturally drawn to only that thing now, and will stop at nothing to get it. She is a thinker and will figure things out. She is already asking "what's that?", and when you answer, she will look like she is thinking about it, and then responds "oh," like 'okay, I got it.' She is also very thoughtful, and is always willing to give hugs, high-fives, share food she doesn't want, unroll a weeks worth of toilet paper for you, and will even rinse your toothbrush in the toilet and then try to give it to you to put in your mouth! But under all that, she is my baby and has a smile and laugh that is just contagious!
Life is pretty normal for us again, and we have learned so much while we have been here in Japan, and we look forward to all the opportunities that are here for us to explore.Even though this wasn't my first pick of places to live, I know this is where my family will grow and develop the best and that this is where our Heavenly Father needs us to be right now.
I am grateful that no matter where we live in the world, I know that my Heavenly Father is looking out for us, and with the Christmas season upon us, I feel at home here because of the spirit that we feel as we celebrate his miraculous birth and the legacy of his life that he led for us to follow.
We want to wish you all a very Merry Christmas, where ever this wish finds you! We love and miss you all, and hope that you will continue to stay in touch and say hello.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Love,
John, Melissa, Benjamin, Isabella and Amelia
3 comments:
Phew! A lot to catch up on! Thank you for the Christmas letter. Always great to hear what is going on in the Petrini household. Merry Christmas.
Merry Christmas! It was great to visit with you and your family on Skype. We will have to do it more often now that we know how to do it! We love and miss you. Have a great New Year, and I'm sure you have lots more adventures in store!
Wow! I'm so excited for you guys! I'm really happy that everything turned out great and you guys are really enjoying yourselves. Everything that you described made me miss you guys! You are awesome, and hopefully we'll see you all in a couple of years. :)
Post a Comment